- For each burger you’ll need 6 ounces of lean ground beef.
- Form the base of the burger with 2/3 of the mixture, shaping it into a patty, then pinching around the edge to form a rim.
- Now fill the inside of the burger with your filling of choice.
- Shape the 1/3 portion into a patty.
- Press the patty over the filling and press everything together into one big patty, flattening it as much as possible, but making sure there is meat covering all of the filling.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper or your choice of seasoning on both sides of the burgers.
- Grill to desired doneness.
- Serve on giant buns along with all the trimmings.
Suggested filling combinations:
- Sun-dried tomatoes, prosciutto, mozzarella or provolone
- Blue cheese, bacon, chopped onion
- Cheddar cheese, bacon, chopped onion
- Pastrami, Swiss cheese, chopped onion
- Chopped deli corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut (rinsed and wrung out). Serve Thousand Island Dressing on the finished burger, you can even put a little dressing inside.
- Crisp bacon, cheese, chopped onion, sautéed mushrooms
- Andouille sausage or Tasso which has been cooked with finely chopped garlic, celery, green pepper and onion. Then sprinkled liberally with Cajun seasoning. Sprinkle the burgers with more Cajun seasoning prior to grilling.
- Shredded chicken mixed with Buffalo wing sauce, blue cheese, chopped celery. Serve with additional Buffalo wing sauce.
- Crisp bacon mixed with diced tomato and a little mayo to bind; you can also add cheese.
Serve the finished burgers with lettuce and additional mayonnaise.